The John Upton Charity (registered charity #219182) exists to promote charitable purposes for the general benefit of the inhabitants of Gawsworth. The sole trustee to the charity is Gawsworth Parish Council.
The Charity has its own clerk, Margaret Edwards who can be contacted on 01260 299 220 or at 11 Lynalls Close, Congleton, Cheshire, CW12 4QN.
Apply for a Grant
If your organisation would like to apply for a grant, complete the application form:
History of the Charity
Records on Gawsworth Charities, issued by the Charity Commissioners in 1837 show that what is now the John Upton Charity once consisted of a number of small charities dating back to the 18th century.
For a number of these charities, only a brief mention in old records indicate its existence.
Fitton Gerald’s Charity
The only record of this charity was in a Benefaction table, which records that interest on £15, to which the parish added £5 and its security, is paid to the poor housekeepers resident in Gawsworth Parish each year. The charity is thought to be referred to in the Parliamentary Returns 1786-1788 under the name of the Earl of Macclesfield.
John Swaine (and others)
The same table refers to an amount of £23 on which interest was again paid to the poor housekeepers of the parish annually. These charities were referred to under the title of “John Swaine and others”
The John Upton Charity
In 1738 it was recorded that John Upton bequeathed the equivalent of £50 from the residue of his estate to be invested with the interest to be paid annually to the schoolmaster of Gawsworth for “his trouble in educating eight poor children in the township”.
In 1771 a parcel of land between ¾ and 1 acre at Marl Heap was left in trust by the Earl of Harrington on a 500 year lease to the overseers and wardens of Gawsworth. That same year the churchwardens decided to call in the money from the John Upton Charity and together with a further £23 decided to build a poor house on the land which became known as Moss Terrace. No records can be found of when this poor house was built, and no plans are available but a record of a vestry meeting of parishioners that year shows it was agreed that the churchwardens and overseers should “by mortgage, assign the poor house and buildings thereon to the rector of Gawsworth and his successors”.
There is no record of when the poorhouse became the 5 cottages which now stand on the site, however one cottage bears the initials “EH 1859” which may indicate when renovations took place.
The only reference to this charity was in a Benefcation table in the church, where reference to the Buxton Turnpike Trust paying interest of £20 to the schoolmaster of Gawsworth for his work and £20 to buy bibles. In 1832, no money had been paid by the Buxton Turnpike Trust since 1819.
Reverend John Tickell bequeathed £200 to the rector and churchwardens of Gawsworth to be invested and apply the dividends from this to educate the poor children of the parish. According to records, the money was invested on 31st October 1817 in consolidated loans.
Wade Stubb’s Charity
In 1821 Wade Stubbs bequeathed £500 to the acting clergyman and churchwardens of Gawsworth to educate the poor children born in the parish.
The 20th Century
At the time of being set up, many of these trusts were administered by the Overseers and Churchwardens and no further records have been found. In 1893 an act of Parliament brought all trusts and charities into the responsibility of local authorities, and the Parish Council administered the charities since then.
By 1963 only three charities remained, the rest having been absorbed into the remaining three. The John Swaine Charity and The Upton Educational Charity were wound up in 2005, as they had no identifiable assets. At this time a new scheme was set up for the John Upton Charity, which consisted of the land and five cottages at Moss Terrace.
On December 4th 2005, on the advice of the Charity Commission, these cottages were sold as they no longer produced an income for the charity. The resulting capital was invested and the interest on these investments is now available for grant purposes with the new scheme.